Republic of Iraq- Ministry of Education June \ 2014 Examination in English for Preparatory schools Time: 3:30 Hours Note: Answer all the Questions Q1) A- Read this text carefully.(10 M) Diabetes is a disease that affects millions of people around the world. About 1.5 million people a year die from diabetes, and no real cure has been discovered for the disease. People who suffer from diabetes have high blood sugar levels, because their bodies are not able to produce enough insulin, Diabetes can be sometimes be inherited from your parents, but also be caused by your lifestyle: being overweight, having a poor diet or being stressed can also cause diabetes. The effects of diabetes can include feeling very thirsty of hungry, losing weight very quickly, problems with your eyes and skin and heart disease. Although there is no cure for diabetes, it can be treated by injections of insulin , as well as losing weight and taking regular exercise. Now answer (five) of the following questions. 1. What is diabetes? 2. Write two main causes of diabetes. 3.How can diabetes be treated? 4. Scientists have discovered treatment for diabetes. (a. True b. False) 5. Diabetes can be treated by ………. a. drinking water b. eating more c. regular exercise 6. Give a suitable title to the passage. B) Answer (5) of the following using the information from your textbook:(10 M) 1. What is the most important aspect of wind power? 2. What did Anna really like about the hotel? 3. Why is investing in stocks and shares a risky business? 4. Why was them other proud of Mustafa? 5. What can high blood pressure cause? 6. What is a radar detector? Q2) Grammar and Functions: (30 Marks) A) Re- write the following sentences, follow the instructions between brackets: (Choose 10) (20 M) 1. If I (have) lots of money, I would buy a race horse. (Put the verb in the correct form) 2. She lost their address. That's why she couldn't write to them (Regret. Use "I wish) 3. Take a taxi to the airport. (Suggestion) 4……….. an average of eight hours a night is about right. (Use an imperative to give advice) 5. Somebody is cleaning the room right now. (Rewrite in the passive form) 6. I've studied hard for the test, so I think I'll pass. (Expectation) 7. A thief took our clothes as we (swim) (Correct) 8. A photographer took a picture of the lady. The lady got ……….. taken. (Complete) 9. The story won the first prize. It pleased many writers. (Combine with a relative clause) 10. I asked Saab "How do you start your business? (Reported questions) 11. (Egypt are in used coins These.) (Unscramble the words to make a passive sentence) 12. Define a cameraman. Use (operate the camera for films or programs.) B) Choose one of the two words between brackets. (Choose 5 only) (10 M) 1. She (is meeting \ meets) the manager tomorrow morning. 2. The red signal made him (stop \ stopped). 3. In my old job, my shift (started \ starts) at 6.00 every Sunday. 4. It was the most (frightened\ frightening) day of my life. 5. We (used to \ didn't use to) have security cameras, but now we have six of them. 6. They've been talking (for \ since) eight o'clock. Q3) Vocabulary and Spelling (20 Marks) A) Complete the sentences with the suitable word from the box. (10 M) renewable – allergies – tour guide – pills – body language – take up1. You have to take two of these ……….. three times a day. 2. Wind is a ……….. source of energy. 3. Most smokers……. the habit of smoking when they are teenagers. 4. I wasn't a good…. because I didn't speak enough languages. 5. Being able to read …………. is vital for good social communication.
B) Match the beginning in list A with the suitable endings in the list B. Choose 5 only) (5 M) List BList A a. because it is very easy 1. I'm writing to inquire b. because it's a very nice hotel. 2. If the cases are too heavy c. about my ATM card. 3. You shouldn't have any trouble doing the work. d. complain about the noise. 4. Food goes bad e. you have to pay extra 5. They should be very comfortable f. unless you keep it in the fridge 6. People who live near wind farms
C) Write the missing words. (Choose 5 only)
1. correct, incorrect; encourage, ………… 2. see, seen ; buy, ………. 3. injured, hurt; alerted, ……….. 4. appt , appointment ; co, ………..
5. joint in the arm , w………t 6. The opposite of deep , …………….. Q4) Answer or complete the following: (Choose 5 only) Literature Focus: (10 Marks)
1. In "The swing" Sattar came to his friend's house to …… 2. Where did the woman in "The canary" use to hang the canary cage?
3. Where was Mohammed Khudhair born? 4. The visitor described the child's father as ………….
5. What did he woman in "The canary" suffer from? 6. When did Mohammed Khudhair write "The Swing"? Q5) Chose either A or B: Written Component (20 Marks) Q)Write a 100 to 120 words on the advantages of studying English in Britain. These notes may help you:
- You can hear people speaking English all day, in many different situations.
- lots of opportunities to practice speaking, especially if staying with a British family.
- Watch TV. And films in English and listen to radio. - Read English newspapers, advertisements, notices
- observe the British way of life. - possibly stay with a British family. B) Write a letter to your bank to complain about a withdrawal on your statement that you didn't make. Write 100 to 120 words
REPULBIC OF IRAQ- Ministry of Education August \ 2014 Examination in English for Preparatory schools Time: 3:30 Hours Note: Answer all the Questions Q1) A- Read this text carefully. (10 M)
Smoking is considered to be dangerous to the health, it is especially difficult for children. Our tobacconist, Mr. Kamal, has always been careful about this. If his customers are very young, he always asks them whom the cigarettes are for. One day, a little girl walked boldly into his shop and demanded twenty cigarettes. She had the exact amount of money in her hand and seemed very sure of herself. Mr. Kamal was so surprised by her confident manner that he forgot to ask his usual question. Instead, he asked her what kind of cigarettes she wanted. The girl replied promptly and handed him the money While he was giving her the cigarettes, Mr, Kamal said laughingly that as she was so young, she should hide the packet in her pocket in case a policeman saw it. However, the little girl didn't seem to find this very funny. Without smiling, she took the packet and walked towards the door. Suddenly she stopped and looked steadily at Mr. Kamal and declared " My dad is a policeman" and with that she walked quickly out of the shop. Now answer (FIVE) of the following questions:
1. Why did the little girl go to the shop? 2. What did Mr. Kamal advise the girl after giving her the cigarettes?
3. What was the reason that the girl wasn't afraid of the police? 4. What was Mr. Kamal?
5. Did Mr. Kamal ask the girl whom the cigarettes were for? 6. Give a suitable title to the passage. B- Answer or complete (5) of the following using the information from your textbook. (10 M)
1. Why are spreadsheets used a lot in businesses? 2. Where did Anna and her cousin go by taxi?
3. How does the radar speed gun work? 4. Some people don't take holidays because ……..
5. Mustafa had to stand on a chair to …………. 6.Samira's active language is …………. Q2) Grammar and Functions: (30 M) A) Do as required: (Choose 10 only) (20 M)
1. If my plane (not leave) on time, I'll miss my connection this afternoon. (Correct)
2. You like exercising, so I don't think you'll have trouble getting fit. (Expectation)
3. I like those shoes. Can I (try \ on \ them) (Put in the correct order)
4. Keep your passport in a safe place. (Give an advice)
5. Unfortunately, I ate three bars of chocolate. That's why I felt sick. (Regret use: If only) 6. Latifa asked Zaha "When did you decide to be an architect?" (Reported question) 7. Somebody took my wallet last week. (change into passive) 8…………. (you \ book) a hotel yet? (Complete with the correct form of the present perfect) 9. My uncle Ali still rides a bike. (He is 80). (join – use – who) 10. He is going to be a librarian. He decided he …………… (Future in the past) 11. After we (speak) to the teacher, we left the classroom. (Correct) 12. She (wear) glasses, but now she has contact lenses. (Use the correct form of "used to") B) Choose one of the two words two words between brackets. (Choose 5 only) (10 M)
1. The noise (made / had) her look outside. 2. She (learns / will be learning)
3. Babylon city, (which / where) people like to go sightseeing, is a beautiful place.
4. Please, put out your cigarette. You (mustn't / must) smoke kin the hospital. 5. We need a (little / few) more oranges) 6. Have you (ever / never) camped in the desert?
Q3) Vocabulary and Spelling (20 Marks) A)Complete the sentences with the suitable word from the box.(10 M)
1. There must be a mistake in my statement. I didn't make this ……… 2. I twisted my …………. playing football.
3. Don't leave your keys in the ……………. 4. The …………. on my legs is very dry.
5. She pays money from her irregular………… work into the couple. B) Match the words and the phrases in List A with their meaning in List B. (5 M)
a. out of job 1. ambitious b. witness 2. unemployed c. want to succeed 3. a fine welcome d. hospitality 4. a large meeting to discuss something e. conference 5. a person who saw or heard something
C) Complete the following with correctly spelt words. (Choose 5 only)(5 M)
1. boy, boys ; church, ………. 2. big , bigger ; funny , ……… 3. polite, impolite; popular, …… 4. be, been ; spend ,……….. 5. pushing , shaking ; surprised, ……… 6. attract, attractive ; delight ……… Q4. Literature Focus: Answer or complete the following: (Choose 5 only) (10 M)
1. The two main characters in "the swing" are ………. and ……… 2. How does the story of "The Canary" end?
3. What does the story "The swing "stress on? 4. In "The Canary" the woman was happy to have the Canary because...
5. In 1967 a war ……………. 6.Who is Mohammed Khudhair? Q5): Writing \ Choose either A or B) (20 M)
A) Ahmed wants to be a security guard. He is meeting the manager of a security company tomorrow morning at 9.00. It takes thirty minutes to go from his house to the security company. The manager sent him directions. Write a letter to Ahmed of 100 to 120 words giving him advice on how to get the job. Use (you should or you shouldn't) in your letter at least five times. B) Write a short article for a travel magazine of 100 to 120 words on "A wonderful holiday I have had
REPULBIC OF IRAQ- Ministry of Education Nov. 2014 Examination in English for Preparatory schools Time: 3:30 Hours Note: Answer all the Questions Q1) A- Read this text carefully. (10 M)
You do not have to be a passenger to go inside an airport. Sometimes you may have to pay to enter an airport but it is always a small amount. An airport is usually full of people. Some of them will be passengers. Some have just arrived by plane and they are now waiting for a car or a bus to take them home. Others are waiting to go on planes that will take them to another city or another country. They are buying books to read on the plane or talking to their friends or relatives. Many of the people at an airport are not passengers. They have come to meet passengers. Who are arriving or to say goodbye to friends or relative who are leaving. Now answer (five) of the following questions.
1. Why do some passengers buy books? 2.Only passengers can enter an airport. (True \ False)
3. How much do you sometimes have to pay to enter an airport? 4.Some of the people are not passengers. Why are they at the airport?
5. An airport is usually crowded. (True \ False) 6.Give a suitable title. B-Answer (5) of the following questions using the information from your textbook. (10 M)
1. Name two activities Anna and her cousin did during the day.
2. Mustafa found his mother in the ……… (a. kitchen b. bedroom c. bathroom)
3. Why shouldn't an interpreter waste time thinking?
4. Holidays can give us a chance to … (a. learn new activities b. recover from illnesses c. stop talking about our problems.)
5. How did the paramedics treat Mustafa's mother? 6. Radar guns don't need any maintenance. (True\ False) Q2) Grammar and Functions: (30M) A) Re-write the following sentences, follow the instructions between brackets: (Choose 10) (20 M)
1. Stamp collecting is a nice hobby, when did you (it\ up\ take) (put in the correct order)
2. His car has broken down. He bought it last month. The car …... has broke down (Combine with a relative clause)
3. They learnt a lot in the military, so I don't think they will have trouble getting a job. ( expectation )
4.Will you be able to come to the party? I asked Layla…….. (reported question)
5. Define an architect. Use (designs buildings)
6. Unfortunately, I spent all my money at the weekend. That's why I can't buy those bags. (Regret)
7. I (clean) my room and I (find) £30 under my bed. (Put one verb in the past continuous and one in the past simple) 8. She is going to her computer course tomorrow. I found out that ……….. (Future in the past)9. (was \ The \ yesterday\ bank \ robbed) (unscramble the words to make a passive sentence) 10. He (have) his hair cut at the hairdresser's but now his wife (cut) it for him.(Used to) 11. Help you with your baggage. (offer) 12. If I (play) tennis, I would join the tennis club. (correct) B) Choose one of the two words between brackets. (Choose 5 only) (10 M) 1. She had her picture (take \ taken). 2. Layla is in the kitchen. She (has been cocking\ cooks) 3. You are driving too fast ! you (have to\ needn't slow down.
4. She (walked \ was walking) home from school when she heard the police siren.
5. How many letters (did you write\ have you written) so far today? 6. A thief got into their house because they (haven't locked\ hadn't locked) the door properly. Q3\ Vocabulary and Spelling (20 M) A\ Complete the sentences with the suitable words from the box.(10 M) sneeze \ honestly \ stressful \ booth \ footprints \ replace
1. We need to ……….. the trees that are cut down. 2. I always …………. when I put pepper on my food.
3…………….. can tell you what type of shoes a thief was wearing. 4. I can …………. say that it was the best holiday I ever had.
5. A …………… is a box - liked room where interpreters work.
B\ Match the words with their collocations. (5 M)
a. to take our passports 1. you need to get a special licence b. because I don't want to be late again 2. If he's used computers before c. leave so soon. 3. we mustn't forget d. to drive a lorry. 4. I must get up early tomorrow e. when I will receive my card? 5. I don't have to f. he should know how to use this software 6. Could you please let me know
C) Write the missing words. (Choose 5 only) (5 M)
1. fair , unfair; patient, ……….. 2. exp. , experience; yrs. , ………… 3. go, gone; break, …………… 4. unemployed, out of job; in a difficult situation, …………. 5. excite, exciting; peace , ………. 6. fast , faster; safe ……………. Q4) Answer or complete the following: (Choose 5 only) Literature Focus: (10 M)
1. Sattar came to his friend's house to ………. 2. Sattar and Haleema ate ………… before lunch.
3. Could the woman in the Canary have another bird? 4. Mohammed Khudhair's short stories are translated into English,…….. and ……
5. The nail to the right of the front door brought back the sweet memories of the bird to the woman. (True \ False)
6. What is Mohammed Khudhair? Q5) Writing. Choose either A or B: (20 M) A) Write an e-mail of 100-120 about a bad day out where everything went wrong. Use your imagination. Start like this:
I had a terrible day last Saturday. I wish I had stayed in bed then all this would not have happened ………. B) Write a short essay giving your opinion about this statement. "Studying while you're working is worth all the hard work.
Your essay should have a short introduction and a conclusion. Remember to use linking words and phrases. You should write 100 – 120 words